Monday, June 7, 2010

Ticks, Ticks, & More Ticks

I just returned from visiting a program in Loudoun County Virgina. I returned with eight ticks, that I found, having a feast on this old body. I did not use Deet Insect Repellent, but did wear lightweight hiking pants. They were removed and deposited with the local health department to find out what variety they were. Seems each variety carries a different possible problem.

I thought I was careful. Obviously not careful enough. The little buggers were found on my back, legs and groin area. Removal was quite simple. I tried the Tick Key which removed all but the really small one. For those I used the tweezers. The trick was lifting straight up and not squeezing them too tightly so that the head remained on me.

Now it is wait and see what happens. Even though I have bathed, the body and mind are in cahoots urging me to scratch continuously.

Next trip I will be more prepared: Deet, gaiters, long pants and long sleeve shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment