Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week One Wilderness School Staff Training

Wonders never cease...I survived the first week. It was very insightful, thought provoking, educational, good food, and the staff is incredible.

All of Tuesday's hike was uphill in the hot sun and I cooked in my tick prevention attire. I got better as I unzipped my pant leggings, rolled up my sleeves and cooled down.

Wednesday was, like my skiing, all downhill. Actually, downhill hiking, if one is not careful as in hiking when carrying a full pack, can create problems for the knees. Many long distance hikers report knee problems which are not a pleasure.

Week One starts the process of bringing new staff up to speed, refreshing the returning staff, building a working team for the coming season. Field instructors, logistics personnel, and course directors are mixed together to learn and share. I was impressed by the work done by the returning seasonal staff to prepare and conduct workshops.

A very important element is the use of rituals. The group is called to "Circle" as a way of preparing for the next event, deciding how to proceed, reminding all of how to act and what to do. We circled at the van, for morning stretch, before and after each meal, for workshops, at day's end.

This is important for consistency and structure to a child who has little or none in his current surroundings. It is a way of keeping the group focused on the task at hand and the responsibility each has to themselves and the group.

The circle is formed with all standing shoulder to shoulder, arms crossed in front and holding each neighbor's hand. The discussion ends with a moment of silence while the pulse, a slight squeeze of the hand, is passed.

May the Circle Be Unbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment