Friday, May 28, 2010

Why Hike The AT

There seems to be more of an understanding of my wanting to write the book than my desire to hike the Trail. I am still being asked "Why hike now?" Maybe this will help clarify.

People ask how the idea to hike the Appalachian Trail at 65, married, and part owner of a business, ever originated. While my explanation seems perfectly reasonable to other married individuals especially the married men, it does seem to leave the singles clueless. I guess that just has to do with the maturity one develops through the years of shared life experiences in a Venus-Mars, Ying-Yang sort of way.

Ideas do not just happen. They develop over time waiting for a trigger to set them off. And for that I have Rosemarie, my wife, to thank. She said “Take a Hike” and it all came to be. Actually she claims she said “Retire and do something else”. Retire – Take a Hike …. But of course.

Let me explain something about my wife. Rosemarie is an elementary school special ed teacher with a Masters in Special Education - Behavioral Problems. Our families, friends, and neighbors recognize that after 39 years of marriage to me she has earned a Practical Doctorate in Behavioral Problems, if such existed. Besides, everyone knows that a great teacher motivates the student to make his own proper decisions. So we all know that she was leading me to the only conclusion I could make…Retire – Take A Hike.

I always wanted to hike the AT and especially to do it with my family. But life in general, raising kids, job demands consumed our focus. Even though we were outdoors people hiking / camping was not really big when faced with the demands of three women with high sanitary standards. Sailing, swimming, even snow skiing were ok because restrooms were close by; but, in the woods?? Only now are my girls into camping, so the chance to hike with them makes this decision even more exciting. And besides they can explain it better to Rosemarie who is still trying to understand how “Retire” became “Take a hike”!

No comments:

Post a Comment