Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tick Follow-up

Three things that I have learned since my encounter with the Virginia ticks:

  1. Even though you may promptly drop the living specimens off to the local heath board they forward them to a central lab. By the time the lab report is back you may well be into the ailments. It is best to see your doctor immediately and let me make the call on steps to take.
  2. The Tick Key does work on the smallest of buggers but you may need help getting the proper purchase angle. Things like hair and bony protrusions may get in the way of your attack angle but maybe overcomed by a helper.
  3. Too much long clothing seals you from the ticks but turns you into a furnace. Last Tuesday I hiked in 80 degree weather with long pants, long sleeve shirt, floppy hat, gaiters over the pant legs and boot tops and I sweat like I was in a native hot stone tent.

But no new ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment