Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Best Practices Conference this weekend.

In my travels, it was suggested that I attend the Association for Experiential Educators' Best Practices Conference. It is being held in Columbus, Oh, this weekend. It will give me a chance to continue my networking with folks in the know about troubled kids in the Wilderness.

In attendance will be both hands-on operators / field instructors of programs as well as consultants, researchers and professional educators from various colleges and universities. In fact the keynote speaker is Dr. Lee Gillis of Georgia College and State University. Danielle studied with Lee and his wife, Dr. Jude Hirsch, while working on her masters.

Also presenting is Dr. Sandy Newes who I interviewed while in Asheville, NC. She is a Clinical First Responder which is a relatively new field. It is designed to provide the clinical expertise to field staff operations.

On another issue I have been asked not to announce in advance when I will be at a particular school. This is for privacy and security reasons. Thus as I head back out to visit a school/camp/program I will only be telling you were I was and not where I am going or am at presently. When programs are in the field they strive to be "alone." After all it is the wilderness that they are trying to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment